Monday, November 3, 2014

Bad Press: Chapter 3

"Where are you?" I heard Jessica shout on the other end of my phone. Based on the tone and volume of her voice, I think it was safe to assume that she was angry. "Why are you not at your house?"
"I'm not at my house because my calculations showed that the subway wouldn't be back before you decided to drag me off to a rubbish club on the other end of town so I went out to eat since we've all learned that my stomach can't tolerate club food," I informed. "My conversation with Jackson also went on longer than I had originally suspected."
"So I take it you went to the panini place," She assumed, muttering the words under her breath. She didn't seem very impressed with my selection of eating establishment, but I didn't care about what she thought. The panini was delicious, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I can chat with a friend while I eat. I don't know what else someone could ask for! 
"Well, then where are you now?" She retorted, obviously not pleased that I wasn't currently at home. 
"I'm on the subway about five minutes from arriving at the station," I answered, moving my phone and head around and eventually maneuvering in such a way that my phone was now being held up to my ear by my shoulder as I rummaged through my sack for the seemingly fifteenth time today. I hadn't finished my green tea before I left and since Jackson knows I have the tendency of not finishing it, he put it in a coffee cup of sorts. I took a sip a few minutes ago and burnt my tongue. 
"There you are," I said a little louder than necessary as I pulled out the thoroughly frozen bottle of water. Hopefully this will give me some relief from te burning sensation currently spreading all throughout the surface of my tongue. For those of you who haven't figured it out already, yes, I am a very clumsy person. No, this does not mean you get to judge me for being so. 
"Where is what?" Jessica asked out of curiosity, having no clue as to what my words were directed to. 
"My frozen water bottle," I answered as I screwed off the cap and placed the opening on the place on my tongue where the burning tea hit first. The sensation across my tongue is coming from there so if I treat it from the source this tingling will hopefully be gone soon. 
"Why do you have a frozen water bottle with you?" She continued. 
"It was in a liquid form but it froze," I defended, my voice sounding off because of the bottle being pressed against my tongue. 
"Why does your voice sound different?"
"Because I burnt my tongue," I informed. 
"Well that wasn't too smart of you," She muttered. 
"Hey!" I replied quite loudly, almost shouting. I got glares all around from pretty much everyone on the subway. "You've done far dumber things than this."
"You have a point there," She gave in. "But in my defense at least half of them were dares from you, Miranda, or the both of you." 
"That's a lie!" I accused. "I've only dared you a handful of times and those were cheeky things that you brought up in the first place so don't you dare try to push that over onto me." An elderly couple a few rows ahead of me turned to face me and I was prompted to lower my voice. Okay, maybe I am being a little louder than necessary but come on, can't they just turn down their hearing aids down or something? That thought might have been a little bit rude, but yet again nobody ever accused me of being a nice person. 
"Oh, sure you haven't dared me to do anything," She agreed sarcastically. Something that you should know about Jessica is that she has a Ph.D in sarcasm and a Bachelor's degree in putting people through a guilt trip. Many people have fallen victim to it, but thank goodness I'm not one of them.  
"Why do you not have anything remotely delicious in your snack cabinettes?" Jessica whined, obviously not impressed by my selection of snack foods. 
"You're not raiding trough my snack cupboards again now, are you?" I questioned even though i already knew that the answer was yes. Why would she be complaining about me not having anything appealing according to her appetite in my kitchen if she wasn't digging through the shelves? 
"No," She lied, her mouth now full of something. Oh no, she's hit my hidden candy stash. 
There is a reason behind everything here in this world, and more specifically reasoning for why I keep my candy hidden. I keep my candy kidden because there will always be people in this world, much like my friends, who will actively dig through every nook and cranny of your house to find a single piece of chocolate if they suspect even slightly that you have some sweets stacked somewhere. I've learned from my mistakes in the past and I've learned to hide the candy and to change spots frequently because if you do not, these people of the earth who are candy hunters will find your stash, and they will deplete your whole catalog. 
"What are you eating?" I asked sternly, not being afraid to push as hard as necessary to get the answer and to leave with as much candy left as possible. 
"Nothing," She continued, off to a start on a lying streak. Jessica has a lot of these, but everybody knows that every word she speaks is far from the truth, except for her. She thinks that if she believes that what she's saying is the truth then others will as well. Well, some people never learn I guess. 
"You're lying to me," I informed. "You've found my stash of candy now, haven't you?" There was a slight shuffling sound that could be heard then the line went dead. 
"Looks like I'll be out of candy when I get back home," I confessed, knowing that this would hold true when I walked through the front door. I took my phone back out and tried to call again but I was sent straight to voicemail. I then tried calling my home phone and see if she'd be dumb enough to pick up there, but she didn't, so I resorted to sending her a text to pick me up at the subway station. If she was out and about and wanted to bring me to a club, she could come and easily pick me up at the subway station. 
Hey! Since you're out and about anyway how about you come pick me up at the subway station? Slowly working my way off the subway right now. 
~ Alex
P.S. Get your head out of my candy drawer!
I got an almost immediate response out of her, but not a text, but rather a call in return. 
"I'm not in your candy drawer!" She attempted to persuade even though I knew the correct answer was otherwise. 
"Yeah sure," I replied sarcastically, using her signature trait against her.  "If you're not in my candy drawer then I suppose that my stash will be fully stocked when I return home at whatever ludicrois hour in the night it'll be when you've decided you've had enough of the club, or too many martini's, and need to get some sleep." 
"Okay fine, I've had some candy from your stash," She confessed. About time she did so. 
"A ha!" I shouted, no longer afraid of the ugly glares that my mini out bursts would win me. People were now too focused on their next destination and paid little to no attention to their surroundings. 
"Okay, I'm waiting near the parking lot," I informed. "Where are you now?" 
"Not very far away," She answered, this not helping me very much. "I'll be there in a minute or two."
"What song is playing on the radio?" I asked, this question being way off the current topic. "It's sounds very familiar but I just can't put my finger on the title. It's on the tip of my tongue!" I was almost the master of song titles so for me to not know the song right away even though I know it is an embarrassment. 
"I drop your troubles off at the conveyor belt. I give you a ticket to forget yourself," Jessica sang out, very very pitchy as well as not keeping one single key but she was just aiming for the words. 
"At the baggage claim, you got a lot of luggage in your name," I continued. "That's Bagagge Claim by Miranda Lambert!" I exclaimed, more excited than words could describe. I had finally gotten the song. The line went dead after that. 
After the line went dead, I heard a honk of a horn and immediately knew that it was Jessica's queue to me that she had arrived. I ran through the nearest set of doors much like a kid after a winter seasons' first snow. I know I most likely look like an idiot through the passersbys' eyes, but do I look like I really care? I do not care what these strange people who I've never met think of me, because it's unimportant for me to know what they think of me. 
"Ready to go?" I was asked as Jessica started the car back up and got back onto the road. 
"Ready as I'll ever be," I responded. "What trash club will I be dragged to on this fine night where I could be binge-watching Once Upon A Time?"
"Sycamore, and it's not a trash club," She defended. "If it was a trash club then why would Dalton Bentley go there every Friday night?"
"So the only reason why you're going to this club in particular is for the sole purpose of hopefully bumping into this rising celebrity?" I asked even though I already knew that the answer was yes. The answer is almost always yes to these questions that I ask. I start to wonder why I even bother asking half the questions I do when I already know full well what the answer is. "He's probably has a boatload of security around the place. We'll be lucky if you can even get in."
"I have connections you know," She stated. Jessica has connections to pretty much everybody no matter how obscure they may be. However it does come in handy more often than not. "So prepare to have the time of your life tonight."
"I wouldn't be too sure of that."

No comments:

Post a Comment